Thursday, April 14, 2011

Post #18 - The Reaping

Please note this is a complete SPOILER and I am basically relaying how insanely stupid this movie was for your enjoyment. I suggest seeing the movie before reading this if you have any interest in it being surprise.

2007 Release
Directed by: Stephen Hopkins
Written by: Carey Hayes & Chad Hayes
Starring: Hilary Swank, David Morrissey & AnnaSophia Robb

Goodie goodie goodie. I have been reviewing alot of shit movies lately so I decided to go with a personal GEM. I love this movie, I have watched it SO many times I just can't get enough. If The Reaping is on any channel, I am tuning in. Why? Well, let me explain...

First of all, there is a religious twist to this movie and I am a total sucker for that. Swank plays Katherine, a former Christian missionary who turned her back on God to pursue a career debunking religious phenomena after the murder of her husband and daughter. The movie opens in a small village in Chile where the locals are becoming sick from what appears to be a plague. After investigating the tomb of a recently deceased priest Katherine uncovers the true culprit, pollution in the water supply. Then a friend of hers, a priest with whom she worked with in the missionary, contacts her because he believes he has received a vision from the Godand wants to warn Katherine. She refuses to hear him out because she no longer believes in God or the Devil.

Katherine is contacted by a small town science teacher, Doug (Morrissey), who has been tasked with figuring out why the rivers in his town have turned red. The townsfolk fear this is first plague signaling the end of the world and blame a 12 year old who recently witnessed the death of her older brother. Katherine and her assistant Ben (Idris Ilba) travel to the small town confident there is a logical explanation for the contamination. Upon their arrival more and more "plagues" start to happen and Katherine has flash backs to the murder of her family.

This movie is so stupid. She has weird dreams, there are alot of flies, and eventually she meets the little girl being blamed for all the commotion. The story is ridiculous and over the top but I loved it. Katherine discovers the entire town is involved in cult activities and she believes they are trying to sacrifice the child to satan. WHAT?! By the end, Katherine has kicked ass, saves the girl and you discover she is pregnant with Doug's baby - the anti-christ. It's so awesome! I am getting happy just thinking about it. I tried to find it on demand last night and was disappointed it wasn't listed. I highly recommend this craptacular movie.

SO having said all that, I give this movie:A total gem, and one to be watched for the ages. This movie is so great, that's all I can say!

No comments:

Post a Comment